This salad is a lovely twist on the old strawberry-spinach-salad-with-poppy-seed-dressing recipes that have been around for the last eleventy eleven years. I really enjoyed this new salad and my body thanked me for feeding it something healthy. I have been really bad lately with the caramel butter sauce and a spoon.
The recipe for the lemon poppy seed dressing is very good, one of the best that I have had. It is definitely on my keeper list.
- 1 bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 pear, cored and diced
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 oz. swiss cheese, shredded or cut into small, thin strips (I had some baby swiss cheese sandwich slices that I cut thinly)
Toss all ingredients together. Serve with poppy seed dressing on the side.
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons diced onion (I used a purple onion; it added a faint pinkish color to the dressing.)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, lemon juice, onion, mustard, and salt. Process until well blended. With machine still running, add oil in a slow, steady stream until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds, and process just a few seconds more to mix.